Wednesday 4 December 2013

Being a Mummy is... (Part One)

...A blessing, amazing, hard work, exhausting, precious, forever, constant, trying, special, priceless, overwhelming, entertaining, memorable, rewarding, challenging, fun, messy, worrisome, beautiful, hilarious, educational, a journey.
 
There are so many ways to describe being a Mummy, pr even a Daddy for that matter. All the books, midwives, parents and Internet access in the world cannot prepare you for parenthood.It is such an individual journey, going way back to the day you learn of your little bundle, or in some cases even earlier.
 
I remember the day I learnt I was pregnant, it came as such a shock but my boyfriend and I were over the moon. I was only 2-3 weeks when I learnt of the exciting news, so for the next three weeks or so I walked around with my head in the clouds, it was such a surreal feeling, I had a little person growing inside of me. Excited didn't cover it! I made my doctors appointment, which I thought would make everything feel  more realistic but to be quite honest, it didn't. The doctor didn't even confirm I was pregnant, as home pregnancy tests are that accurate nowadays. ( I did seven... yes, SEVEN!) All the Doc told me was to start taking folic acid, what I should and shouldn't eat and to make an appointment with the midwife on my way out! I was quite shocked that that was it,although I don't know what I was expecting.
 
By the time I reached 6 weeks, morning sickness hit me like a sledge hammer. The name is so deceiving, for me it was all day, every day sickness. My bed and the bathroom became my new best friends. All I did was sleep and eat dry frosties (that was about all I could keep down). I was extremely unlucky though, not everyone suffers from it, and if you didn't, I envy you! For me it lasted for about 11 weeks! Even though i was going through this unfortunate, yet natural part of pregnancy, it STILL didn't feel real that i was going to have a baby. It wasn't until my '12 week' scan which i didn't have until i was 14 weeks, that it started to sink in. Seeing our baby for the first time, it was a feeling like no other, seeing that tiny pulsating heart. The little limbs and side profile of their face. Wow! I couldn't stop looking at the photo. Absolutely incredible! Its such a reassurance to hear that everything is as it should be, although i had been surprisingly calm from the get go. I had no reason not to be.
 

To be honest morning sickness aside, I had a healthy pregnancy. I was slightly anaemic in my third trimester but again that is very common. I loved going to all my scans, we paid to find out the sex of our baby at 16 weeks. We were having a girl! All things pink! My boyfriend had said from day one that we would have a girl, he was spot on. We were delighted, what was even better is we had already decided on a girls name. We then paid for  a 3D scan at about 30 weeks. the little tinker kept on covering her face with her hands and feet, but that was okay because we got to go back the following week at no extra cost. Even then she only decided to show her side profile. She was beautiful! She was ours! We couldn't help but shed a few tears!

When I got to 31/32 weeks I wanted her here, I was dying to meet her. Not to mention I was suffering with squashed ribs and an extremely painful pelvis. Sleeping I found difficult from the minute my bump started to appear as I have always slept on my front. All the pillows in the house were not going to make me any more comfortable. The one thing I did find that helped me to sleep, which I still do now, is put cotton wool in my ears, it really helps me to shut off from my thoughts oddly?


***awful photo*** Me at 32 weeks whilst at work at Topshop

My princess was always extremely active in my tummy, especially around lunchtime and in the evening. When I was 30+ weeks she seemed to find a position she was happy in and would dig her heel in my right side below my ribcage all the time, my word I would yelp sometimes whilst at work it would come as such a shock! little lanky long legs my baby! Awh! The first time she had hiccups in my tum, that was an interesting feeling, I couldn't decide what it was for a little while, it felt like my own pulse but in my lower tummy. She had these A LOT!

There are so many significant and memorable moments during pregnancy. It would be the longest post ever if i spoke about it all; the first fluttery movement I felt, the first baby grow I bought, deciding what sort of birth I wanted and what I didn't want. Finding clothes to wear that went over my bump that I still felt like myself in. How she always kicked and wriggled during every bath I had or every time I watched One Born Every Minute.. The first time my bump sat to one side or had a pointy lump sticking out. There are so many!

The further into my pregnancy I got the more I was willing my princess to arrive, not to soon but around the 38 week mark would of been great. Lets face it the excitement and anticipation of meeting your baby is enough to make anyone want to wish a few weeks away. Right?
 
By 35+3 weeks gestation, my baby girl, Maisie Summer was delivered via emergency C-Section. It was unfortunately not the arrival we had hoped or prepared for. She was extremely poorly and for the next month, life was going to be harder than we ever thought possible, but that is a story I hope to share later on with you all...
 
So this was my pregnancy in a nutshell. what were your favourite or least favourite parts of your pregnancy?
 
I'd be interested to hear your story.
 
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment